1) Never simply approach a strange dog. You don't know this dog or what he may do once you are close enough to reach.
2) Always ask permission of the owner. If they have an aggressive dog they are usually pro-active about letting strangers approach but anyone can be caught unaware.
3) If the dog is showing signs of aggression definitely do not approach them. If they are roaming loose call the dog warden.
4) Do not hover or make sudden movements. Even when a dog is not normally aggressive someone hovering over them or rushing into them may be seen as a threat.
5)Don't attempt to corner a dog. Even if you are trying to help all they understand is they can only escape past or through you.
6) In the event you are attacked do not run. Many dogs may bite and then stop right away. If you run they will chase you so simply walk away and do not stare at them.
These are just general guidelines to help you in the event of most dogs. Many situations will differ but these rules will frequently apply to most dogs. Above all be aware and stay safe!
professional dog trainer with Artisan dog training
Lexington / Nicholasville